Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tim Cone Plans For B-meg


James Yap playing the Kobe Bryant role in Tim Cone’s triangle offense?
After parting ways with Alaska last week after 22 years, Tim Cone’s name has been linked by the rumor mills to the B-MEG Llamados.


On Monday, the 13-time PBA champion strongly denied that he has a deal to take over the B-MEG coaching job. Last week, former assistant coach Richard del Rosario was appointed acting head coach of the squad.

“No one from B-MEG management has contacted me,” Cone told InterAKTV in a telephone interview. “It’s just rumors from the grapevine.”

“I feel like I’m in limbo at this point. Hopefully, I can find something quickly to keep me busy. I’ve asked for my release so I can go on a different direction, but nothing is imminent for me at this stage.”
But while he said that he’s still uncertain about his future, Cone is sure about one thing: he’s taking the triangle offense wherever he lands.

The offensive system became prominent in the NBA after being installed by Phil Jackson for the Chicago Bulls and later, the Los Angeles Lakers. Cone mastered the offense by videotaping broadcasts of Bulls games in the early ’90s and painstakingly charting the system.

The triangle offense became a trademark of Cone’s Alaska dynasty in the 1990s. The team won 10 titles during the decade, including a Grand Slam in 1996, while mainly running the offensive system.

With his faith in and knowledge of the triangle offense, Cone was able to strike up a friendship with Tex Winter, an assistant to Jackson and the original architect of the system.

While things around him are in flux, the triangle offense will serve as the constant for Cone.

“Me and the triangle are inseparable,” he said. “The triangle is very much in my DNA.”

“So I’m definite to bring the triangle with me for the team which will get my services because I’m at my best coaching when I run the triangle.”

No comments:

Post a Comment